Learning to swim can be a terrifying ordeal, especially for those with a fear of water. Your child can tackle this fear by going to free swimming lessons in Singapore for a trial class, but doing the initial movements might be intimidating for many. Knowing what will come can help them mentally prepare for the real lessons and give them peace of mind. Here’s everything you and your child can expect from beginner swimming lessons.
Overcoming Fear of Water
Before your child learns how to swim or any swimming techniques, many teachers will help them get used to the water since they know how common the fear of water is. If your child is scared of swimming, these exercises can slowly help them build their confidence and feel more comfortable in the water. Here are a few methods a teacher from a swim school uses to help your child.
- Swim school will usually start by teaching your child how to bubble. Bubbling helps you get used to the breathing techniques used during swimming. When you swim, you inhale through your mouth and exhale through your nose or mouth. Instead of holding their breath, swimmers should bubble as they swim to ease their anxieties and focus on performance.
- Learning how to float can increase your child’s confidence considerably. Many beginners underestimate their body’s buoyancy, and learning how to float can help them realise that water isn’t as unsafe as they might think. In swim school, your child will learn how to float facing up and face down the water.
Once your child is more comfortable in the water, the teachers in swim school will start introducing their students to basic techniques they will continue to use during the intermediate lessons, such as learning to do breaststrokes in the water. Here are a few basic methods your child can expect to learn after overcoming their fear of water.
- While your child won’t be fully swimming yet, the swimming teacher will introduce them to a few kicking techniques that they will perform while holding onto the poolside. Learning how to kick correctly will help propel them across the water when they start to learn swimming in Singapore.
- Learning how to glide means learning how to start swimming. During free swimming lessons in Singapore, your child will learn how to push themselves off the pool wall with their legs, allowing them to cut through the water because of their streamlined position. They will begin swimming after this position, so it is essential to learn how to do it properly.
- Similarly, knowing how to stand in the pool after floating will help them learn how to break and stop swimming. They’ll learn how to realign their body and stretch their legs to find the pool floor.
Find the best swimming lessons rates in Singapore by visiting The Swim Starter, the best swimming school for children. Professional swimmers at The Swim Starter are ready to teach your child everything they need to know, and by six months, they’ll already be swimming like a pro. Visit their website today for more information on their beginner and intermediate classes.